It’s going to be “hell” week starting Monday for various reasons. First, it would be the start of my official duties as ONETT officer for the whole month of September. For those who have no idea of what this job entails, well, it’s basically about having to come to the office early to entertain transactions that require assessment of taxes, making sure that the documents brought in for computation are complete and inorder and lastly, letting the taxpayers know the whole point of undergoing a very tedious process as filing their returns for it’s a natural tendency for us, Filipinos, to be meticulous on our taxes, if not, suspicious of whether we paid the correct amount. It’s the examiner’s duty to see to it that taxpayers are well informed of what they are paying. To leave them as is would mean opportunity for misconceptions to creep in, of which the BIR often becomes an easy prey. I remember my first day as ONETT officer to be very tiring. While I make sure that I do my job “by the letters,” which is a common trait for neophytes, I was at the same time trying to impress my bosses by doing my job with enthusiasm, of course, also making sure that I cut on my errors and learn from them fast. Being the idealist that I am, I even went to the extent of checking on the veracity of the documents by visiting the local assessor’s office in my effort to reach my collection target, a task which is undoubtedly tiring and yet very fulfilling.
Second, starting September 1, we’ll be using biometrics for our daily time record. Each employee has a unique number assigned to him as a control measure, which is absent in the manual system. I have nothing against the new system, in fact, I applaud the people who conceptualized and made it to a reality. With this system in place, the BIR can guarantee that timely service would be rendered to our valued taxpayers and, at the same time, employees will be forced to observe the working hours mandated by the law. What particularly troubles me is that I often forget to time in, the one thing that I’m still trying to correct. That is why, even if I came in early for work, you will find my name in the bottom list with the annotation “forgot to sign in.” Unlike the old system, there would be no excuse for inattentiveness to a minor thing as signing in for work.
Third, the internet connection in the office was disabled due to network overload. Somebody from the national office (whom I should probably call, the "Angel of Death") spearheaded the oplan "Tanggal Linya." Even the BIR Portal could not be accessed. I usually do my research on tax regulations via yahoo which is faster than the BIR website.
Fourth, next week would be the last week before the midterm exams. Although I started “opening” my books, there are still pages to read and a handful provisions to (‘though I hate to say it) memorize. A Civil Law professor once told the class that whenever a statement appears ambiguous, to read it a couple of times, and if it still confuses us, to resort to the quickest and safest way known to man-memorization. Somehow, I believe him. Although memorization had its "saving grace" on my major exams in Legal Philosophy, Roman Law, Intro to Law to name a few, it is the practicality of my reasoning that saves me on the harder subjects like Criminal Law and Political Law. The important thing for me to remember is to never leave a question unanswered for who knows, I might get lucky. The principle is, if you leave anything blank, aside from the fact that won’t get a mark for effort, you wouldn’t be giving your brain something to work on since you already conceded to the fact that you don’t know the answer. More on the midterms, I was a little worried that I won’t be able to take the exams on the scheduled date since a travel order has been issued directing us to attend the birthday-slash-retirement celebration of Director Perl. I was fortunate enough to act spectator in the event for it is a tradition in the bureau to get the “new” ones do the entertainment stuff. I had my fair share of embarrassment as a neophyte in the office by dancing ballet on a “pink” skirt infront of the jeering crowd not once but twice! It could have appeared as a forced act had it not for a glass of Emperador that I drunk minute before to give my confidence a little push.
I have discussed this (the fact that I'm traveling for zamboanga) with the dean and she told me to inform my professors in writing before I leave for Zamboanga and to attach the supporting memorandum. But one professor already manifested his disinterest and unwillingness to give special exams and even told me to do my best to come on the scheduled date. I’m currently convincing my batch mates to have the exam re-scheduled on the 14th so we can take it together. No replies yet.
Not the typical text addict who checks on his c.p. from time to time and bothers to reply, a text message was sent by my cousin containing some queries that might be brought up in their debate class.
The first question, What can you say about our economic problem? Next, If you were PGMA what will you do to the MILF?
These questions are hard to miss due to its relevancy to the current situation that our country is facing at present. Here’s my reply:
“For the second question, if I were PGMA I would pursue/exterminate this group and deal with them with iron hands. How could I even bear watch the country I lead sink lower in debt and poverty when I’m busy concocting plans with the devil? Kidding aside, I would hang myself ten times until I get tired as my form of penance! That way, I’m doing the country a huge favor.

No comments:
Post a Comment