Thursday, September 25, 2008

Archers Miss; Eagles Roughly Escapes!

Ateneo is definitely on the roll.First, it was the Nike Summer League and now the 2008 UAAP Men’s Basketball Championship!

As a child, basketball is the one sport that I am not good at playing but, ironically, the one that I love to watch, even before I developed my interest in other sports like badminton, volleyball, baseball and even tennis. My brother had been part of his school’s varsity team and was fondly touted for his impeccable impersonation of “The Tank,” Noli Locsin (this is not a point of view coming from a brother). He had his shot at the championships but somehow his interest in the sport died down when he started college. I, on the hand, had other interests of my own. I am the artistic one in the family. I could have gotten into showbiz given the right exposure and talent fee. Hahaha! Seriously, there was a point in my life where I was forbidden to engage in physical sports because of my asthma.


I have forgotten about my love for the game of basketball until I chanced upon a replay of the season 70 UAAP games played between Ateneo and La Salle. The intensity of that game as well as the school pride that went with it reignited my love for the sport and since then I anxiously awaited for the next season to start.

As for Game 2 of the Championships, it was something I have hoped for and kind of expected. Indeed La Salle put in their best effort after their dismal performance in Game 1 but Ateneo was too good a team although they started a little shaky in the first two quarters. I thought a deciding matchup was imminent until they extended their lead to more than ten points that seemed to give a signal of their impending victory. They were able to hold on to their lead, thanks to the foul troubles of La Salle players and the technical foul that sent Maierhoffer packing. Even JV Casio who was finding his rhythm was not spared- pulled out of the game with only one more foul to give in less than two minutes remaining. La Salle was not able to convert to their advantage the increasing turnovers from the side of Ateneo, but instead made a few of their own. They were out of sync against a highly ferocious and a do-or-die team hungry for another championship, one that eluded them for the last six years.


After all the hype brought about by these games, all I could give is a sigh of relief that indeed the best team won not because of my internal biases in favor of the blue team but because of what the latter has shown all throughout the season. The young guns of Ateneo had indeed matured and learned well from their past mistakes. On that point alone, they have secured the championship. Now, its time to raise my cup and wish you all a good night sleep. That goes out to all my La Sallian friends as well.


PHOTOS COURTESY OF FABILIOH.COM

No comments: