Monday, September 15, 2008

Formal Theme Writing :-)

Within the past four days, I had been pretty laidback and a couch potato. The last time I was like this was when I got hooked by late night viewing when I was in college, not in search for educational or kinky stuff but guess what---cartoons! I am not named Dexter for nothing!

While my classmates in law school were busy burying their heads in piles of case digests and hard-bound books of Paras (Civil) and Pamaran (Crim Proc), I, on the other hand, managed to squeeze in a blog entry that would just turn out to be a dreary recollection of my day’s unfolding of events rather than a stimulating course worthy of discussion for the highly intellectuals. Leave that to the political analysts and economic gurus (like my thoughts on those areas matter anyway.)

I have yet to take the midterms exams this week for the same reason pointed out in my previous entry. The good thing about special exams is that you have ample time to prepare for the potentially damaging questions that might be thrown at you, but with a major setback- my tendency to over-relax. By empirical knowledge, students are more driven when placed in a situation where they have equal chances of success. Phrased otherwise, they feel more confident knowing that they are all on equal footing when taking the exams, sort of a stimulus that drives them to do their best. There is so much at stake in long preparations, which includes the expectation of getting better results. The same is true on our day-to-day undertakings.


I chanced upon an episode of Private Conversations with Boy Abunda where Fr. William H. Kreutz, S.J. was the guest. I did not know that the former President of Ateneo de Zamboanga University, founded the Jesuit Volunteers of the Philippines (JVP). For a detailed discussion of what this JVP is all about visit their website at www.jvpfi.org. I know for a fact that Fr. Bill, as he is fondly called by his friends, is a great man with a brilliant mind (the one thing I admire most about Jesuit priests) and a kind-hearted soul. It is unfortunate though that there were only few occasions where I had the chance to meet him in person when I was still a student in the Ateneo. He is a natural standout on campus and is often seen talking to someone as if giving last minute instructions. That is what he is, a born leader, and good one for sure. Watching him on T.V. for the first time since my college graduation, made me realize how much he had done for the school. It was during his stint as president when Ateneo de Zamboanga was granted university status. He made his presence felt and blended in like a true-blooded Zamboangueno. He even thanked Boy Abunda in chavacano (Muchisimas gracias), which goes to show how much he loves the local dialect.

My favorite part of the show was when they did “fast talk” where the guest would be asked series of questions and the latter would have to respond in the fastest way possible. He was asked of what God would tell him when he reaches the “pearly gates” of heaven. He said that God would welcome him, and for that he would be very happy. He also added that there had been days when he felt alone, but he was never lonely. I hope I could get the transcript of the whole interview so I can put it on this blog. I would be lucky if this was uploaded on youtube. Then I could supply you the link.

I promise to post an entry on the 65th birthday and retirement celebration of Director Perla Bala with pictures this time. I know how it feels reading a blog with all text and no pictures. It is like reading an obituary page on All Souls’ Day. Imagine how weird your day is going to be.

No comments: