The Junior Philippine Institute of Accountants (JPIA) of Saint Vincent’s College had their accountancy week last July 25, 2008. One of their activities was a symposium on tax updates of which I was invited as speaker. Said symposium came at the wrong time—deadlines for reports on investigation, monthly collection reports etcetera. But since my boss, personally handpicked me for the job, I had to agree. This was some sort of a compromise deal in exchange for her allowing me to take a time off to prepare myself for the prelim exams. Besides, I am not going to be eaten alive by a bunch of kids who, aside from the fact that they were simply coerced by their teachers to participate, knew nothing of the subject that I was going to discuss with them.
The symposium started late due to minor technicalities with the computer used for the slide presentation. Aside from this, I had to call backup from the office to retrieve my flash disk which I absentmindedly left in my bag. The person who was tasked to set up the multimedia went to attend a fiesta which also contributed to the delay. By the time my name was called, I started to panic. I was not used to talking in front of a crowd and I have this tendency to talk too fast and jumble with words, leaving my students dumbfounded. Right indeed, the students started to feel sleepy and though I was meters away, I could sense that they were looking at me through glassy eyes. I injected some humor in my lectures to which my audience positively responded even that student who was at the brink of falling from his chair.
Finally, I was done with it. Then the open forum. Everybody was hesitant to make the first move. But I insisted on telling them that they’ll be tested on the topic that was discussed. Obviously a lie but an effort nonetheless to stir them up. Most of the questions raised, were a little off from the topic. Some were made in good faith, others with malice and ill-intent. Nonetheless, I proceeded in answering these questions in the manner that they will understand, rather than in an accusatory and justifying tone. I was too careful not to say things that might infringe the name of our office or that might suggest a wrong idea about something that I myself have no adequate understanding of. Otherwise, I wouldn’t just be putting my office under the "boiling water" but would be incriminating myself as well. Some things are better left unsaid, especially if they dwell on matters of grave significance.
All in all, the symposium served its purpose of informing the students taking up the course who will not just become CPAs in the near future, where taxation might be one of their fields of interest, but who will be playing an important role in this country as ordinary taxpayers themselves. Kudos, to the SVC JPIA Officers for a successful Accountancy Week!
Jual Obat Perapat Vagina
9 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment