This is one of those “unplanned” trips I’ve been to recently since our foray in Cebu that left me with an overstretched cheeks. What transpired in Cebu was that we had a blast on our first night when we decided to dine at Yellow Cab located at the newly constructed “veranda” of Ayala Center Mall. We marveled at the site of the water fountains and the magnificent façade of the adjacent building. It's modern architecture is almost breathtaking to see, something to envy about. How I wish we have this structures back home so that we won't spend a dime anymore on airline tickets and hotel accommodations for trips such as this.
We weren’t content on pigging out the oversized pizza and sola drinks ( I prefer raspberry flavor than the original) so we decided to hit the local club (Club Juliana) afterwards. Still dissatisfied, we settled ourselves at this crazy hangout along 22nd Street and were laughing like hyenas until three o clock in the morning. Thanks to the multi-talented group of standup commedians for tickling our funny bones. One of them could even belt out songs of Lani Misalucha with no sweat! How tough was that! That explains the overstretched cheeks. I’ll have the rest of the story in my next blog that is if I ever get the chance to considering the long holiday break due this month and I need to set my priorities first.
Going back, I was bound for office that afternoon when the idea of going to Oroquieta just hit me. I was occasionally asking my dad if the place is safe—those typical questions as if insinuating something. I guess dad figured out what my real intentions were that he permitted me to join the tournament even before asking. He made random calls from his cellphone and before I even contemplated on my rush decision, everything was all set—my tournament bag, dryfit shirts, shorts, shoes, rackets---and as an add-on, he let us ride the van with two people to look after my needs. I categorically dubbed this as a bizarre behavior of my dad who’ve been known for his impeccable adherence to what is ethical or just. Unsuspecting, I loaded my paraphernalia at the back of the van.
It was past three in the afternoon when the driver arrived. Taking the less busy route from Pinan to Dapitan, it took us nearly two hours to reach our final destination. The long, winding road somewhere near Calamba made me feel lethargic that there were moments when I doze off in my seat—a perfect opportunity to have my picture taken. When I regained consciousness, I didn’t pass the chance to look around. Blasting my Ipod to the tune of “Crush,” I never felt sleepy from then on.
It was almost dark when we reached Oroquieta City. We had a quick dinner courtesy of “Kamayan sa Oro,” where some of my friends stayed throughout the course of the games. Right after that, we proceeded to the Cultural Center for the registration and formal opening of the badminton tournament. As if luck was on our side, the venue of the tournament was just a five-minute walk from our staff house so whenever I need a quick bathroom break, I never had to rush back to the site.
The first thing I noticed was their badminton court. It’s the usual color green except that it’s made of wood tiles unlike the conventional concrete or rubber flooring back home. My Adidas Court Flex was of no use against the high-sticking floors. Lucky I brought another shoe which is lighter and less adhesive.
The Dipolog team was beyond average when it comes to badminton skills. Players from other municipalities even expressed their admiration to some of our players for keeping it cool amidst the pressure and ending up as eventual winners still. The younger ones show great promise in them if only they’d stick to the sports and practice even harder. Joining tournaments like this is one avenue through which one player can gain exposure. As for me, I’m content to the level of the game to which my body is capable of playing. I don’t expect much from the sport other than its apparent health benefits. And if by chance I win in a tournament, it doesn’t make me a class A player still; besides, I never dream of becoming one anyway. Hahaha. Just so you know, we managed to clinched the third place under our category which made the whole tournament even more memorable and exciting.
This blog is getting longer than I intend it to be. My eyes are getting droopy as I write, perhaps a sign that I’ve been infront of the monitor for God knows how long. It’s time to wrap up this day with this parting word—Adieu!

No comments:
Post a Comment